Compiled by Adelaide Tsebe
Coffeebreak is a time to unwind and get in touch with actors’ processes. This week, our guest was Noxolo Dlamini and these are her nuggets of wisdom.
- Always keep active, for mental and physical maintenance.
- Be careful and disciplined.
- Get out of your comfort zone.
- Be okay with learning new things.
- Always teach yourself something.
- Don’t be too conscious, especially when using a mirror to translate/recognize your emotions.
- Acting is playing, it’s fun.
- Making a performance of a character colorful is fully adding personality to it.
- Be comfortable with yourself.
- Some things about a character cannot be taught, you need to practice and know them as an individual.
- Play around with your monologue.
- Look out to play for characters that are an opposite of you.
- Do the work from a good heart.
- Not everyone is gonna like you as a person. Not everyone is gonna like you as a performer.
- Give a performance without holding back.
- Be forgiving of yourself, and others.
- Getting in and out of characters can have a psychological impact, we’re human not machines.
- They’re things you need to prepare that work for your mental strength
- Work on yourself.
Catch Coffeebreak every second Sunday on the Actor Spaces Instagram live at 17h00.