Compiled by Thembi Zikalala courtesy of Cross Makere
Actors need a holistic way to live life. To prepare for the life of a professional actor, who must keep fit and healthy even if living on a small budget. It’s important to know that eating a healthy balanced diet not only helps us look and feel good, it helps us to stay in great condition and prepared for any production!
1. Wake Up Early !
The 5am club is the best club to join! Waking up early removes grogginess, sleep apps are great and help monitor your sleep cycles . Opening a window brings in the fresh air and some vitamin D, which gets your endorphins firing and energized to counteract the grogginess.
Avoid screens for at least 30 minutes before you go to bed so your body can adapt to the darkness. Your body relies on natural light to cycle properly – so stop disrupting that cycle! Going on a morning run is a great way to start your day and get your blood flowing.
2. Set a steady Routine …
Waking up early gives you the benefit of that in-between state of being creatively sharp to working out daily. Having daily habits and routines assist in helping you juggle more things in your day-to-day life.
Implementing The 30-minute Rule is inspired by ‘ The Pomodoro Technique’ which states that people can get a lot more done during the day if they break their days into 30 minutes segments and set 1 task that needs to be completed into those 30 minutes.
Do yoga for 30min. Slow movements and deep breathing increase your blood flow and warm up your muscles, while holding a pose can build strength. Begin the “Top your morning” with Yoga! It improves your strength, balance and flexibility. Daily yoga practice also reduces stress levels.
From taking a 30min walk with a friend or a pet to watering a plant is also a good routine to follow to develop when you are building a “daily habits” routine.
3. A Balanced Diet
It’s very important for actors to eat healthy, as eating a healthy balanced diet not only helps us look and feel good, it helps us to stay in great condition.
A balanced diet increases energy and stamina which you will need during those long rehearsal days. A balanced diet lowers your risk of developing chronic health risks such as heart disease and cancer, gives actors a positive outlook on life and helps you maintain a healthy body weight. It’s important for an actor to keep in good shape. Staying healthy when young will help us in our later years.
What makes a balanced diet ?
- The nutrients we need for a healthy body and mind consist of protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals. Knowing what these do for you and your body will help you stay healthy.
- A few nutritional powerhouse snacks to start keeping on hand with you at all times are mixed nuts; they are full of heart-healthy fats and loaded with fibre and protein. Veggie sticks and hummus consisting of two or three of your favourite veggies (carrots, cucumber) chopped into paired with a dip of hummus is a great source of protein.
- Fruits provide a wealth of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that will inspire your best self. Bananas, apples, berries are an easy snack on-the-run. An excellent savoury snack upgrade are crackers and rice cakes, with low GI carbs it will give you a sustained boost between larger main meals.
Affirmations are statements that are used and repeated to encourage and uplift the person speaking them.
Setting up daily affirmations on your alarms during the day to remind you of how important you are, is very important and serves as a great tool to how you grow as an individual/ an actor. Affirmations give you a few moments to help you curate your consumption from your conversations, your music to what you read and watch.
Here are 5 Daily Affirmations for actors:
- “I am an actor”
- “I will never forget why I became an actor”
- “I will never allow rejection to discourage me”
- “I will never allow family and friends to discourage me”
- “I will never compare my progress to that of another actor”
A debriefing at the end of your working day is very important, you can access the meditative state anywhere and anytime if you’re open to it.
- Sitting meditation in a calm place in your home or outdoors, helps with accessing that serene meditative state. Right before bedtime is a great moment to do some sitting meditation.
- Meditation is a powerful way of knowing yourself, being present, enjoying life, developing your character, creating meaningful relationships, achieving your potential, discovering your inner joy and so much more.
Actors go through a lot. A working actor is talking with their agent, memorizing lines, going to acting classes, shooting new headshots, and attending casting calls/auditions. All of which is extremely stressful and time consuming.
We hope these few tips will assist in minimizing anxiety levels and keep the Actor in you physically and mentally healthy.